"viral" (was RE: Licensing options for firmware)

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Wed Apr 6 14:09:43 UTC 2005

James W. Thompson, II scripsit:

> Because the clause requires the propogation of the GPL licensing
> regime for no really good reason.

The FSF thought its reasons good and still does.

> It is viral, to sugar coat it is the ignorant thing to do.

"Hostility".  Check.

> The GPL should do more like the Sleepycat and require code release
> under reasonable terms.

When the GPL was released there were no other reasonable terms.

> How else would you describe the forced propogation of a single license
> like this clause induces?

Force?  You dare to speak of force because something is generously
shared with you on terms, rather than being given to you lock stock
and barrel?

> My best thoughts are viral, infectious, perhaps compulsary would be
> more disarming, but the effect is still the same: "Do what we say and
> do it our way or get sued!"

As opposed to the kind and gentle attitude of the perpetrators of
proprietary software.

--
John Cowan  jcowan at reutershealth.com  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
Consider the matter of Analytic Philosophy.  Dennett and Bennett are well-known.