An explanation of the difficulty of solving licenseproliferation in one sentence

Peters, Robin L (Stormy, OSPO) stormy.peters at hp.com
Fri Apr 1 16:47:25 UTC 2005

> Hmm... I have my doubts about anyone's motivation when they
> say "we are not doing this for ourselves, it's for you."

I never said we were doing it for you!  I said it was for companies and
individuals that do not have the knowledge or resources to evaluate all
the licenses and yet they want to use open source.  Licence
proliferation is one barrier to their adoption of open source software.
(You obviously understand the licenses so I wasn't referring to you.)
HP has a successful Linux and Open Source business and we would like to
see more people adopt open source software solutions and therefore we
are motivated to make the open source software model easy and clear.
Clear as in not confusing.

I think there are many ways the problem of license proliferation can be
solved.  One way is for us to create fewer licenses.  There are many
other ways.  Black Duck Software and OSRM are just a few companies that
have created business models to address the confusion in the licensing
and legal space around open source software.

Stormy