compatibility and the OSD

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Tue Sep 28 17:01:58 UTC 2004

Marius Amado Alves scripsit:

> It is not an error. It is an issue. Being discussed. On the SDC open
> forum. The current tendency is not to change (but see below).

I'll bet.  See below.

> The license is not "proprietary" either. The world is not in black and
> white.

Very true.  There is no saying just when the day changes into the
night, but most of us can distinguish noon from midnight fairly well
nevertheless.

> "Open source" only appears in the mottos. The legal text does not use
> either term. And in the commentary texts everything is made clear.

Ah yes.  You -- and your customers -- may find this article handy:
http://www.edmontonbbb.org/tips/ct2328.htm .

> The current term for the SDC philosophy is "fair source". Eventually I
> will try to rephrase the SDC mottos accordingly.

A fine expression.  Why not change to it immediately?

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        jcowan at reutershealth.com
To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all.  There are
no words left to express his staggerment, since Men changed the language that
they learned of elves in the days when all the world was wonderful. --The Hobbit