For Approval: Academic Citing License

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen atwork at infimum.dk
Tue Sep 28 08:48:46 UTC 2004

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 08:21:50 +0100, Marius Amado Alves
<amado.alves at netcabo.pt> wrote:

> Evan Prodromou wrote:
>> ... Some CC licenses say that you can't distribute
>> or perform the work or derivative works for 'commercial advantage' --
>> not that you can't _use_ them for commercial advantage.
>
> Duh? Perform is not use? I'm a composer. What other use of my work can
> there be other than perform it?

Performance is use, Evan Prodromou didn't say otherwise. It's just that
not all uses are performances in the terms of Copyright law.

In copyright terms, a performance is *public*, it is one of the ways an
author/copyright holder can publicise his work. Merely playing the music
for yourself, or in a private setting, is not a performance. Even playing
it for yourself, as a private person, in a commercial setting, is not a
performance.

/L
Lasse R. Nielsen - atwork at infimum.dk
  'Faith without judgement merely degrades the spirit divine'