For Approval: Academic Citing License

Evan Prodromou evan at wikitravel.org
Mon Sep 27 23:13:47 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 23:52 +0200, Johannes Kaiser wrote:

> > Yes. The problem is that, as the copyright holder, you have limited
> > rights to tell people how they can use your software. You can keep them
> > from distributing it or making modified versions and distributing
> > those,
> > but you can't really tell anyone how to use it day to day.
>
> You tell me and I've got to believe you. I understand that this holds
> for open source licenses. But how about the creative commons licenses?
> They are telling people how to use it, e.g. not commercially. So your
> statement cannot be true in general.

No, it's true in general. Some CC licenses say that you can't distribute
or perform the work or derivative works for 'commercial advantage' --
not that you can't _use_ them for commercial advantage. It's perfectly
OK to listen to a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial song to
pump yourself up before going out to make a big sale.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan at wikitravel.org>