compatibility and the OSD

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Sep 22 19:28:53 UTC 2004

Quoting Russell Nelson (nelson at crynwr.com):

> OSD#3 says "The license must allow modifications and derived works."
> It doesn't say "The license must allow some modifications and derived
> works."  Neither does it say "The license must allow all modifications
> and derived works."  We, however, behave as if it says the latter, not
> the former.  Any reason why we shouldn't?

The latter is obviously the intent, in my view.

Minor point of order:  Given that Bob wasn't submitting a licence for
OSI approval, this has all been a (possibly entertaining, conceivably
enlightening) off-topic digression.  Ergo, Bob might get thoughtful

theoretical-license-discuss at opensource.org hasn't yet been launched.

--
Cheers,               No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message.
Rick Moen             We do concede, though, that a large number of electrons