STWL (spread the word license)

Bernhard Fastenrath bfastenrath at mac.com
Wed Sep 22 16:35:05 UTC 2004

The intention of 3. and 4. is not to be legally enforceable but to
make it unmistakably clear that the described behaviour is required
by the license. It is left to your own judgment to decide who might
be interested in the software (3.) and who needs your help or whom
cou can help by answering questions (4.).

If requests for help are directly directed at you and the number
is not manageable for you (as in your example) the license would
require you to write a piece of documentation for this software
and spread this piece of documentation. That's perfectly within
the requirements of the license and takes a limited amount of time.

Another reaction to too many requests for help is to name somebody
who is using the software (either because you explained it to him
or her or because (4.) or you forwarded the software to him or
her, as by point (3.)) as an expert and share the load with others
who share the same license conditions with you.

greetings,
Bernhard

--
http://www.ikfk.de/idea.html,
http://homepage.mac.com/bfastenrath/religion.html

Was du selbst nicht wuenschst, das tue auch anderen nicht an.
(Konfuzius, Gespraeche, XII, 2) 551-479 BC

An hour of contemplation is better than a year of prayer. (Muhammad, La
Mecque, vers 570 - Medine, 632)

How to become a vegetarian: Do not delegate a task if you might consider
it unethical if done by yourself.
Why don't you slaughter an animal yourself? (This is the intention
behind kosher and halal, but people, as usual, don't get it).
(http://www.ikfk.de/vegan.html)