compatibility and the OSD

Bob Scheifler Bob.Scheifler at Sun.COM
Tue Sep 21 16:15:10 UTC 2004

>>    c. Any other Derivative Work can only be distributed under this
>> License
>>       as the combination of Source Code, unmodified Test Suite, and
>>       unmodified Test Suite Documentation.
>
> I believe this is morally equivalent to:
>
>    a. Any Derivative Work can only be distributed under this License
>       as the combination of Source Code, unmodified Test Suite, and
>       unmodified Test Suite Documentation.
>
> Would this be acceptable?

If it's equivalent, sure. Note that I'm not interesting in
wordsmithing the license, since I have no actual intent to
use such a license.

> It seems to imply you can't make
> non-compatible binary distributions.

Yes, the intent is to only permit distribution of compatible binaries.
(That doesn't preclude creation of incompatible binaries.) In effect
I'm trying to figure out here if requiring distribution of derivative
works to be in source form violates OSD#3 (or some other part of the
OSD).

> Also, I'm not sure if requirements of delivering additional components
> is a improper restriction on redistribution.

I would like to understand what part of the OSD such a requirement
conflicts with. Is the problem with requiring distribution, or
with disallowing derivatives of those additional (non-source) elements?

- Bob