quirky LGPL - GPL issue

Arjen Lentz arjen at mysql.com
Wed Sep 15 02:13:13 UTC 2004

Hi all,

Possibly this has been discussed before... OpenOffice.org is released
under SISSL (Sun License) and LGPL. Indeed, a complete user app licensed
under LGPL.

The interesting situation this creates is... what happens when including
a GPL library into this app? In summary:
 - LGPL app.
 - GPL lib.

Feel free to stand on your head for this exercise ;-)

Does the resulting (complete) derivative work have to be GPL? I would
guess so, since you can GPL code that was LGPL licensed, but not the
other way round.

Naturally, what I am looking for is practical solutions. Any
thoughts/suggestions to make the above work. I guess that "plan z" would
be to use another licensing exception to GPL (they're actually
extensions of the license, but anyway), similar to what Zak Greant has
worked on earlier. But if there's an simpler route, I'd love to hear it.
Thanks.

Regards,
Arjen.
--