looking for a license

mkr diab at gmx.li
Sat Oct 23 16:00:26 UTC 2004

Hi Arnoud,

Am Samstag 23 Oktober 2004 17:40 schrieb Arnoud Engelfriet:

> Why do you specifically want to identify the initial work? Is it
> so special?

It will be a commercial distributed dual-licensed work. So, I hope that
this will be special :)

> That's a good question. personally I would say no, since the
> GPL requirements apply for distribution of the _program_ and
> not to outputs of the program. But I have seen several GPL-licensed
> web applications where the author has stated that such a
> requirement follows from the GPL.

GPL, 2, c:
| If the modified program normally reads commands interactively when
| run, you must cause it, when started running for such interactive use
| in the most ordinary way, to print or display an announcement
| including an appropriate copyright notice (...)

I really think that this will cause misinterpretation. However, if
someone says that a requirement of a copyright notice will fit even in
web applicatiosn, I will register a trademark an use the GPL ;)

> Arnoud

kind regards,
  --mkr