For approval: MirOS Licence Template (and question about others)

Thorsten Glaser tg at 66h.42h.de
Tue Oct 12 14:02:49 UTC 2004

John Cowan dixit:

>Thorsten Glaser scripsit:
>
>> With due respect, I would like the OSI to consider to
>> certify the "MirOS Licence Template" as shown on

>> http://mirbsd.bsdadvocacy.org/cvs.cgi/~checkout~/src/share/misc/licence.template?rev=HEAD

This will be updated in a few hours with the full file by a cronjob.
I've attached the fixed version.

>In my judgment, this license is obviously Open Source (and Free)
>and should be fast-tracked for OSI approval.

Thanks.

>A few typos:  s/publically/publicly, s/commata/commas.  In
>addition, there are some bad hyphenations: re-tained, not retai-ned;
>addition-al, not additio-nal; temp-late, not templa-te.

Good to hear that; fixed them except "commata" which I do want to
retain because the word has a Latin origin. (Shouldn't matter to
the discussion though, because it's in the explanatory text.)

>> a) any derivate of the original UCB/BSD licence, with
>>    clauses left out, or wording slightly changed (e.g.
>>    by putting in one's name)
>
>In general, no, except that you can replace ORGANIZATION, OWNER, and YEAR
>with the correct values.  But omitting clauses, no.  The canonical version
>for OSI purposes is at http://opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php .

Why? It's pretty common to leave out clause 3; most also leave out clause
4; some leave out clauses 2 and 3 but not 4 (I've seen that when checking
for MirPorts), and minimal changes to the disclaimer "should" not be too
worrysome.

Of couse, if that's OSI policy, we'll have to live with it; in that case
I'll pick out the special cases and mail them.

>> b) the following:
>>
>> # Copyright (c) 2003 ...
>> # Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for any
>> # purpose with or without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above
>> # copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all copies.
>> # (disclaimer from BSD licence)
>>
>> (see http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/src/share/misc/license.template?rev=HEAD
>
>This is not the BSD license, but it is IMO Open Source, and should be
>assigned a name and then fast-tracked for approval.

The name is (new) "OpenBSD license template". I don't believe they
have got versions on them; for the "MirOS licence template" (notice
English spelling, not American) we're using the RCS revision number.

Thanks,
//mirabile