AW: For Approval: Some License Or Another

Arnoud Engelfriet galactus at stack.nl
Tue Nov 30 20:09:24 UTC 2004

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> license update either.  If I purchase software from Microsoft, it
> comes with a specific license.  Microsoft does not have a provision in
> which my software will automatically come under a new license as soon
> as I become aware of it; nor does any other proprietary software
> vendor.  (Microsoft does of course use a new license for new releases
> and new updates.)  So what you are looking for here is really unusual.

Microsoft _does_ have what they call "Additional License Provisions"
in certain OEM and CLA contracts. If you enter in an OEM agreement,
then you are entitled to -say- install X copies of WinXP. However
the copies come with their own license agreement. The ALP clause
in the OEM agreement states that you will agree to that agreement
as well, whatever it says.

Still, existing software stays under its own license.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch patent attorney - Speaking only for myself