Definition of open source

Russell McOrmond russell at flora.ca
Sun Nov 7 22:26:22 UTC 2004

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004, Zvezdan Petkovic wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 09:59:06AM -0500, James Harrell wrote:
> > believe that the time has come for Commercial Open Source
>
> Commercial Open Source is an oxymoron.

  You are making the classic Gate funded misconception that "Commercial"
== "Monopoly Rent Seeking".   Monopoly rents (royalty payments) is simply
one commercial business model among many, not the definition of
commercial.

  Most supporters of Free Markets recognize that commerce can happen, and
actually happens best, without the government granted monopolies whenever
that is possible.  For the vast majority of software this is possible, so
opposing free market economics in the name of commerce makes no sense.

 Code is Law: how software code regulates the activities of citizens,
 and acts similar to law.  How do we ensure transparency/accountability?
 http://www.flora.ca/russell/drafts/life-of-hacker.html#code=law