Definition of open source

James Harrell jharrell at copernicusllc.com
Sat Nov 6 14:59:06 UTC 2004

Greetings Alan,

Hope all is well in the land of CentraView, good to hear from
you again. This is well said and well thought out- I have been
struggling with the same concept for quite some time and we
have yet to officially adopt any Open Source license due to
the limitations created by the "redistribution" and "non-
discrimination" clauses built into the OS definition. We do
distribute code to some of our products, but under our standard
proprietary license. It's a difficult problem to solve for
the small developer shop.

Dan Bricklin (Trellix founder) wrote an essey on this some
time ago that I believe captures the essence of the issue.
He also suggests a license that may be compatible with your
venture. I've bcc'd him in hopes that he will join the
conversation. http://www.bricklin.com/licensingthinking.htm

Unfortunately I doubt that the OS Definition is up for debate
or revision. OS is like religion and politics <grin>. Every
side is "right" because it is a belief and point of view, not
a science. So perhaps the time has come to for a collaborative
new organization for Commercial Open Source?

I'll be happy to sponsor and/or participate. I can easily
donate software (ie: Celestia) for building of a website,
host an email list, etc. Maybe we can get Dan on board, and
any others who have voiced similar opinions.

To the Open Source community- my intent here is not to
trivialize or denegrate. I am a believer too. After all,
where would we be without projects like Linux, PHP, Apache,
etc.? There is a time and place for Open Source, but I also
believe that the time has come for Commercial Open Source
where small or under-funded development shops can capitalize
on their time investment in software, while still sharing the
source with limitations on redistributions, etc.

Regards,
James Harrell
Copernicus Business Systems