[les-software] disclosure of known defects

Lawrence E. Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Fri Mar 12 18:14:01 UTC 2004

Don,

You've asked a fascinating question and I'm looking forward to the comments
of those who work specifically with proprietary software. You asked whether
a software licensor has a duty to disclose known defects.

Open source software projects attempt to satisfy the concerns of consumers
by (1) fully disclosing all source code so that defects can be known and
corrected; (2) undertaking software development in a collaborative fashion
so that contributors are encouraged to find, document and fix defects; and
(3) disclaiming all warranties and disclaiming liability to the maximum
extent permitted by law.

By way of contrast, most of the proprietary vendors I've worked with treat
their defect lists as trade secrets, and then also disclaim warranties and
liability. If a client of mine were ever seriously injured (personally or
financially) by a software defect known to the vendor but not reported to
consumers, I'd sue for fraud regardless of the disclaimers of warranty and
liability. But that's just my bias in such matters. I can't provide any
citations now to demonstrate that I'd win such a case. It also depends on
the jurisdiction. I know that European laws are far more protective of
consumers than we are in the United States.

/Larry Rosen

I'm cross-posting this to the OSI license-discuss list so that others may
comment on your email.