Question regarding modules/pluggins license?

Larry Masters lmasters at nextco.net
Mon Mar 1 09:49:18 UTC 2004

First time posting to this list and really do not know if it would be
the proper place or not.
If this is not the proper place could someone point me in the right
direction.

I currently work on an open source project that uses the GPL for a
license. The project is written in PHP and uses modules/pluggins. The
project has an API  that other developers can use to create these
modules/pluggins so they work within the framework of the project.
Questions and many comments have been raised as to how the
modules/pluggins have to be licensed. Some feel that since they use the
published API that they have to be GPL. Others feel that they can be
licensed however the developer chooses be it a open source license or a
"closed source" license.

Does anyone have opinions on which it true?

Larry E. Masters