Effect of the MySQL FLOSS License Exception?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jun 18 18:18:48 UTC 2004

Quoting jcowan at reutershealth.com (jcowan at reutershealth.com):

> If you examine the short stories in a theme anthology, there may be
> strong connections between them too (and the stronger the connection,
> the stronger the copyright available on the collective work as such).
> But a theme anthology is still a collective work, just as much as a
> CD full of shovelware is.

Be careful not to confuse copyright issues concerning the constituent
works themselves with those of the editor's "compilation copyright",
which is a separate matter, legally.  When people speak of a "copyright
available on the collective work as such", they're most often referring
to the latter concept.

(If I publish a collection of other people's short stories, I can
probably assert title over a copyright property derived from the
creative work involved in selecting, arranging, and preparing those
other people's property.  The law recognises my interest as such.
E.g., back when I ran a dial-up BBS, I asserted compilation copyright
over the design and arrangement of the system, separately from my title
to screens and scripting that I wrote for it.)

--
Cheers,               No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message.
Rick Moen             We do concede, though, that a large number of electrons