GPL and internal use

Rodent of Unusual Size Ken.Coar at Golux.Com
Tue Jun 8 11:30:44 UTC 2004

nospam+pixelglow.com at pixelglow.com wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> There seemed to be a great debate a few years back regarding whether a company
> could augment GPL software for its own, private use and never release any
> modified sources. The general consensus from googling around seems to be: yes,
> GPL does allow that (doesn't bode well for dual licensing which relies on the
> viral, er, reciprocal qualities of GPL, especially since the majority of
> software development occurs within private company use...)
>
> I'd like to know the parameters or limits of this, if any.
>
> For example, Trolltech seems to take a severe view of distribution in GPL,
> possibly because their old QPL explicitly disallows internal distribution
> without opening the code.
>
> See http://www.trolltech.com/developer/faqs/license_gpl.html#q112.

i suppose it depends on how 'you' is defined.  if it is the overall
entity, such as a company, using it internally doesn't count as
distributing it.  it's only when the entity shares the code involved
with another entity that this kicks in.

see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLRequireSourcePostedPublic
i think that makes it pretty clear.

all imho, and ianal.