Dual licensing

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jun 7 17:07:22 UTC 2004

Quoting Marius Amado Alves (amado.alves at netcabo.pt):

> This is just words, but anyway: dual-licensing involves a closed source
> license as much as an open one; in business terms, even more, because
> that's where the money is. So dual-licensing is really less an "open
> source model" than a "closed" one. I'd really like to be shown any
> essential flaw in this reasoning.

If you're claiming the _only_ purpose of dual-licensing is to support
proprietary business models, then there are any number of
counter-examples.  Offhand, the one that comes to mind is the AIC7xxx
SCSI host adapter block-device driver, which, when last I checked, was
dual-licensed GPL and BSD in order to be used by both Linux and BSD
kernels.

(Please note that the term "closed source" is unclear and pretty nearly
meaningless.  Therefore, I use "proprietary" to denote software not
available under OSD/DFSG-compliant terms.)

--
"Is it not the beauty of an asynchronous form of discussion that one can go and
make cups of tea, floss the cat, fluff the geraniums, open the kitchen window