Dual licensing

Marius Amado Alves amado.alves at netcabo.pt
Mon Jun 7 11:55:29 UTC 2004

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. wrote:
> I agree with the point that the creative spark is not communitarian.  My
> point  -- if we are to use Eric Raymond's book as an example (see Raymond's
> busness model "8 Free the Software, Sell the Brand") -- is that dual
> licensing IS an authentic open source model.

This is just words, but anyway: dual-licensing involves a closed source
license as much as an open one; in business terms, even more, because
that's where the money is. So dual-licensing is really less an "open
source model" than a "closed" one. I'd really like to be shown any
essential flaw in this reasoning. But as I said, it's just words,
academic, not important, not pressing, don't waiste your time. Thanks.