Dual licensing

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jun 4 20:00:12 UTC 2004

Quoting Marius Amado Alves (amado.alves at netcabo.pt):

> No. That would breach clause 6 of the OSD (as I think it was already
> noted). That's why the SDC Conditions  (www.softdevelcoop.org), a
> "commercial open source" licence, is not OSI-compliant.

Please, for the sake of clarity, do not refer to examples of (plainly)
non-OSD-compliant licensing as "open source'.  The "Conditions of Use of
SDC Artifacts v. 2" licence linked from the above URL _very_ obviously
transgresses OSD clause #6.

> and because your questioning indicates convergence with the SDC
> philosophy, which is really simple: it's open source, but if it's used
> commercially, then the authors get a cut.

No, it's fundamentally not open source at all.

It may be a fine and useful licence for particular objectives, but
please don't call it open source, as it's not that.

--
Cheers,    "Cthulhu loves me, this I know; because the High Priests tell me so!
Rick Moen   He won't eat me, no, not yet.  He's my Elder God, dank and wet!"
rick at linuxmafia.com