Which license to use for MFC based software?

Carsten Kuckuk ck at kuckuk.com
Tue Jun 1 19:39:43 UTC 2004

Evan,

My real problem is, that I'd like to contribute to a GPL'd project. My
contribution would be a standalone program that is GUI intensive.
During daytime I work as a C++/MFC/database programmer and am very
familiar with MS VS as my main tool. So implementing that standalone
program using VS and MFC means that I can be productive immediately
and just solve the problem. Publishing the resulting source code under
GPL would be ideal. I read the GPL years ago, and did not remember the
fine points well, so I was under the impression that the MFC could be
a roadblock here. Nick and the GPL FAQ make it appear as if this is
not a problem. So being under the impression that MFC and GPL would
not play along nicely, I asked my original question as to which
license would work around these perceived problems. Then came Rick's
post about the "Publicly available software clauses" which opened a
totally different can of worms which I myself can avoid as I intend to
use VC 6.0 which doesn't have this clause yet. Switching to a
different library system and using the GNU toolchain (with cygwin, for
example) would eliminate all legal problems, but it would mean that I
have to spend a week or two learning that new library. I have a wife
and a child and a daytime job, so spare time is limited, and thusly I
wanted to see if I can avoid that. That's my real motivation.

Carsten

Guten Tag Evan Prodromou,

am Dienstag, 1. Juni 2004 um 21:22 schrieben Sie:

--
Mit freundlichen Grüssen
Carsten Kuckuk
mailto:ck at kuckuk.com