Request opinion on proposed license

Ernest Prabhakar prabhaka at apple.com
Fri Jul 30 17:01:59 UTC 2004

Hi Kevin,

On Jul 29, 2004, at 4:08 AM, Kevin Halle wrote:
>    Thus, I propose a new license which modifies the GPL.  It
> carries the same language, with the one exception that a
> third-party organisation is named which has the power to
> negotiate with commercial entities.

I'm confused.  Why does this modification need to be in the GPL itself,
rather than a more traditional dual-licensing model?

It sounds to me almost as if you want all derived works to grant
*copyright* to the originating entity, so that it can freely relicense
those mods under a different license.   Is that your intent, or am I
completely missing your point?

-- Ernie P.
IANAL, TINLA...