Help Selecting License

Cliff Schmidt cliff at bea.com
Fri Jul 23 22:38:20 UTC 2004

Alex Rousskov wrote on Friday, July 23, 2004 1:46 PM:

> On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Fabian Bastin wrote:
>
>> An interesting starting point (at my opinion) is the Licensing
>> Howto, written by Eris S. Raymond:
>> http://www.catb.org/%7Eesr/Licensing%2DHOWTO.html
>
> IMHO, it would be nice if that useful document was linked from the OSI
> web site (as work in progress, I guess).

Note that this document isn't updated with some of the more
recently approved licenses, such as the Apache License 2.0,
which is now used by all projects at the Apache Software
Foundation and many others outside Apache.  Among the
updates to the ASL 1.1, the copyright owner is no longer
part of the license file -- so reuse of the license is
easier.

See http://opensource.org/weblog/2004/02/23#Apache-CUA-Lucent-Fair-EUDataGrid
and http://www.apache.org/licenses/.

BTW, Eric's doc has a table with an "OSI status" column.
Is this a normative designation from the OSI or is it
just part of a draft document Eric was working on?  I
haven't heard of such a thing before.

Cliff