PCT (Patents, Copyright, Trademark) policy and Open Source

Robert Osfield robert at openscenegraph.com
Wed Jan 28 20:35:01 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 28 January 2004 17:59, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> Robert Osfield wrote:
> [...]
>
> > vulnerabilities and risks to our livelihood.
>
> If you don't intend to eliminate all IP laws (as an ultimate
> solution to the problem of vulnerabilities and risks), then
> something like www.pubpat.org is the way to go, I think.

I certainly wish to eliminate all Intelectual Property laws, but I do believe
in appropriate Intelectual Property laws.  I don't believe that Software
Patents are good for the Software Industry or Consumers, but I believe very
strongly in Copyright law's applicability to the Software Industry.  We
*publish* our works which Copyright is designed for and fits pefectly.

I welcome the help that Public Patent Foundation might provide in reducing the
harmful affects of in appropriate Patenting, but its gotta be said this is a
band aid rather than a cure for the problems that Software Patents can bring.

Fixing the Directive's in European to ensure that pure Software and Business
Methods arn't Patentable in Europe and elsewhere is very much preferable and
effective as its cures the problem at the outset, rather than try to fix it
late and downstream.

Robert.