PCT (Patents, Copyright, Trademark) policy and Open Source

Robert Osfield robert at openscenegraph.com
Tue Jan 27 21:11:21 UTC 2004

Hi Ken,

On Tuesday 27 January 2004 20:16, Ken Brown wrote:
> I am really interested in this stuff.  First all, I have to say that I
> suspect a tad bit of paranoia in the reporting about what's happening
> overseas.

Not overseas for me.  I'm based in the Scotland, very much part of the EU for
better or for worse.  I prefer to be view myself as informed is being even a
tad bit paranoid :)

> What sources are you quoting that talk about criminalization
> for patent infringement?

Here's some source of information on the European situation.  Basically
there's two directives the "Directive on Intellectual Property Rights
Enforcement" and the "Directive on the patentability of computer-implemented
inventions.  Two source for these are respectively:

	http://wiki.ael.be/index.php/IPEnforcementDirective

	http://ffii.org/

Both directives are controversial, the IP enforcement covers software patents
and includes highly controversal criminal sanctions section.  This is will go
to the vote in the European Parliament (EP) in early February.

The software patents directive which so far has been turned around at first
vote in EP vote back in the summer which ratified that pure software is
patentable, as per the 1974 Europen Patent Convention.  However, the likes of
IBM, Microsoft, Nokia, the patent lawyers are heavily lobbying to revert back
to making software patentable.  The Europen Commision is pro software patent,
as is the Concil.  The Council and the Commision aren't democratic bodies or
carry out their work in public.  Currently the Directive is back in the hands
of the Council.  So this particular battle is far from one.  Once the Council
has amended the directive, it'll be back to the EP for a final vote.

I'm not an expert on this matters, its best to go to the above links, join the
mailing lists, sign the call for action etc.

> Meanwhile, Red Hat is a patent holder.  What say you about that?

The thing called defensive patenting, so its nothing to worry about while the
patents sit there idle.  A waste of Red Hats time and money, but nothing too
worrisome.

The problem comes when the likes of Red Hat start to think they have nothing
to loose and go on the Patent offensive.  I can't ever imagine Red Hat
becoming another SCO but management and circumstances can change.

The real dangers lurk in other organisations though, the ones with more
patents, or less to loose by unleashing them.

Robert.