www.fsf.org/licenses/NYC_Seminars_Jan2004.html

Alexander Terekhov TEREKHOV at de.ibm.com
Fri Jan 2 18:38:03 UTC 2004

The following caught my attention.

http://www.fsf.org/licenses/200104_seminar.html

<quote>

 The LGPL is a "scaled back" version of GPL, designed
 specifically to allow creation of a very well-defined class
 of proprietary derivative works.

 [...]

 We introduce the two classes of derivative works covered by
 LGPL, "works that use the library" and "works based on the
 library", and give some concrete examples of what proprietary
 derivative works are prohibited and permitted when basing
 the software on an LGPL'd work.

</quote>

http://www.fsf.org/licenses/210104_seminar.html

<quote>

 * GPL Violation Case Study C

 In this case study, we present a violation where an entire
 embedded GNU/Linux distribution was included in a consumer
 electronic device. We consider the problems faced regarding
 kernel modules for device drivers for government-regulated
 hardware, and cases where both an upstream provider and a
 downstream distributor are in violation on separate matters.

</quote>

regards,
alexander.