making public domain dedication safer

jcowan at reutershealth.com jcowan at reutershealth.com
Wed Feb 18 19:23:15 UTC 2004

Alex Rousskov scripsit:

> P.S. If a US citizen can take NASA's US-PD software and license it
>      to Australians, can a US citizen can take NASA's US-PD software
>      and release it in Australian public domain?

I missed this before.  No.  The software is not PD in Australia and only
NASA could make it so -- if indeed they could.  The Australian Copyright
Act provides no such mechanism, but there may be one in the case law.

However, A derivative of a copyrighted work may itself be in the public
domain: for example, in Canada a novel remains in copyright for life+50,
but a movie made from it would become P.D. 50 years after its publication.

--
John Cowan  jcowan at reutershealth.com  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
The known is finite, the unknown infinite; intellectually we stand