apache license 2.0 for consideration

Arnoud Engelfriet galactus at stack.nl
Tue Feb 17 19:39:12 UTC 2004

Russell Nelson wrote:
> If nobody else reviews this license, then the license approval
> committee will have to work without your input.  As we're only human,
> we might make a mistake, and approve an Apache license which didn't
> comply with the OSD (cough, cough).  But still, could somebody else
> take a gander at this?

When it was a draft, there was some discussion of the patent
clauses. They have since been reworded to be more in line with
other, OSI-approved licenses.

I do wonder about
5. Submission of Contributions. Unless You explicitly state otherwise, any
Contribution intentionally submitted for inclusion in the Work by You to the
Licensor shall be under the terms and conditions of this License, without
any additional terms or conditions. Notwithstanding the above, nothing
herein shall supersede or modify the terms of any separate license agreement
you may have executed with Licensor regarding such Contributions.

Can you do that in a copyright license? It seems harmless, since
it only applies if you "intentionally submit" something to the
Licensor, but I've never seen it before in an open source license.

For the rest, it reads like the Apache license 1.1 rewritten
by a lawyer. :-)

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch patent attorney - Speaking only for myself