For Approval: NASA Open Source Agreement Version 1.1

Robin 'Roblimo' Miller robin at roblimo.com
Fri Feb 13 17:42:11 UTC 2004

>     F. In an effort to track usage and maintain accurate records of the
>     Subject Software, each Recipient, upon receipt of the Subject
>     Software, is requested to register with NASA by visiting the following
>     website: ______________________________.
>
> Note that each recipient is requested to register, not merely each
> recipient who downloads the software directly from NASA.  If this were
> a requirement rather than a request, then I think the license would
> not be OSD-compliant.

I have no personal problem with this. I'm sure NASA's reasons for
gathering user information are totally benign, and that if their people
can show that many individuals and companies benefit from thei work, it
will help them get scarce budget dollars from Congress.

But I don't think this really belongs in the license itself, any more
than a request for all users of your software to (voluntarily) smile at
their neighbor once a day, even though it certainly would be nice if we
all smiled at each other a little more.

I like licenses to be as simple and clear as possible. Therefore, I ask
NASA, please, to consider removing the "tracking" clause from the
license itself and make the request elsewhere. Another person thought it
should be in the "readme" file. I agree. The documentation is probably
the best place for this request.

On the indemnification clause... Isn't a simple "no warrenty" disclaimer
of liability enough? I'll defer to Larry and the other lawyers as to
whether or not this clause has anything to do with the license's
OSI-worthiness, but in the interests of simplification I would
personally rather see it removed.

- Robin 'Roblimo' Miller
   U.S. Taxpayer