Initial Developer's Public License

jcowan at reutershealth.com jcowan at reutershealth.com
Fri Feb 13 19:19:27 UTC 2004

Alexander Terekhov scripsit:

> Do you seriously believe that such details/"linking analysis"
> [whether this or that linker redistributes the individual
> object files into different regions, etc.] matters? C'mon, RMS
> is right: "it makes no difference whether linking is static or
> dynamic." Neither constitutes creation of derivative work, I
> think/hope. I may be wrong, of course.

I think that it does matter, because static linking produces something
"fixed in a tangible form", which is a basic requirement of copyrightability.
It's the difference between what your screen shows now and a snapshot of it.'

--
Her he asked if O'Hare Doctor tidings sent from far     John Cowan
coast and she with grameful sigh him answered that      www.ccil.org/~cowan