The Copyright Act preempts the GPL

Peterson, Scott K (HP Legal) scott.k.peterson at hp.com
Mon Feb 9 20:19:52 UTC 2004

In referring to negative and affirmative rights, I am not attempting to
invoke any magic words. I am merely offering a way of thinking about
copyright rights. I offer the characterization (copyright as a negative
right) because I find that it captures in a simple concept an analytical
device that goes a long way in helping predict what the US copyright law
does.

I find thinking about copyright as both a positive right and a negative
right adds nothing to the analysis that more accurately predicts an
outcome under US copyright law than does thinking of copyright as a
purely negative right. The example in the message below is illustrative.
Why inject "a matter of right"? The concept adds nothing. If there is no
one with any copyright right by which they can prevent the person from
making a copy, then the person can make a copy. If there is someone with
such a copyright right, then the person cannot make a copy (whether they
have some copyright right of their own doesn't enter into the analysis).

There may be misunderstanding hidden in the phrase "rights in the work
superior to those of Bob". "Superior" may have been meant to imply that
someone's negative right might be balanced against another copyright
owner's positive right - a concept that I do not believe is applicable
to US copyright rights.

-- Scott