For Approval: MN Open Content License 1.0

Michal Nazarewicz mina86 at tlen.pl
Sat Dec 25 21:45:17 UTC 2004

So here comes my another license (the previouse one is no longer supported
nor available). It is more general (MN ODL was designed for documentation
MN OCL is designed for anything) however gives user the same basic rights.
The main difference in case of rights is section 5.3 which treats about
patents.

- -----< cut here >----------------------------------------------------------
                         MN OPEN CONTENT LICENSE
                        Version #.#, December 2004

     Copyright (c) 2004 by Michal Nazarewicz (mina86/at/tlen/dot/pl)
     Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute this license document.

                                 PREAMBLE

     The purpose  of this license is  to guarantee a freedom  of use, copy,
     modify  and  redistribute  the  programs, documents,  manuals,  songs,
     images,  etc, either  commercially  or non  commercially.   We try  to
     protect your  rights by  copyrighting the work  and providing  it with
     this license. In exchange, we want you to respect our choice, time and
     effort by giving other people the same rights and freedom we gave you.

                           TERMS AND CONDITIONS

     0. DEFINITIONS

0.1. This MN Open Content License  (this "License") applies to any piece of
     software, document,  or other  work in any  medium (the "Work"),  or a
     work containing the Work (the  "Original Version") or a portion of it,
     either copied verbatim, or with modification (the "Modified Version"),
     which  contains   a  notice  placed  by  the   copyright  holder  (the
     "Licensor")  saying it  may be  distributed  under the  terms of  this
     License.

>               [FDL] Section 1, Paragraph 1 and 2. A bit modified.

0.2. A "Source Code" of the Work means a machine-readable copy, represented
     in a  format whose specification  is available to the  general public,
     that is suitable for  revising straightforwardly with widely available
     editors and  automatic translation  to a variety  of formats.   A copy
     made in a  format, otherwise suitable for Source  Code, which has been
     arranged to thwart or discourage subsequent modification is not Source
     Code copy.  A copy that is not Source Code is called "Object Code".

>               [FDL] Section 1, Paragraph 6. Modified because there was
>               some issues with the original FDL's definition of
>               Transparent copy. See [1] and [2] for more info.

0.3. "You"  or "Your"  means an  individual  or a  legal entity  exercising
     rights under this  License.  For legal entities, You  or Your includes
     any entity that controls, is controlled by, or is under common control
     with You, where "control" means:

     a) the power, direct or indirect, to cause the direction or management
        of such entity, whether by contract or otherwise, or

     b) ownership of fifty percent or more of the outstanding shares, or

     c) beneficial ownership of such entity.

>               [AFL] Section 14. A bit modified.

     1. VERBATIM COPIES

1.1. You may copy  or distribute verbatim copies of the  Source Code of the
     Work as You receive it, in any medium, provided that You:

     a) conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate
        copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty;

     b) keep intact  all the notices that refer to this  License and to the
        absence of any warranty;

     c) distribute a copy of this License along with the Work; and

>               [LGPL] Section 1, Paragraph 1. Only terminology changed.
>               It is also similar to [GPL] Section 1, Paragraph 1.

     d) add no other conditions whatsoever to those of this License.

>               [FDL] Section 2, Paragraph 1. Identical.

1.2. You may copy or distribute the  Object Code of the Work as You receive
     it, in any medium, under the terms of sections 1.1 above provided that
     You also accompany it with:

     a) the  complete corresponding Source Code, which  must be distributed
        under  the terms  of sections  1.1 above  (In case  of distributing
        Object Code by offering access  to copy it from a designated place,
        then offering equivalent access  to copy the complete corresponding
        Source Code from the same place satisfy this alternative); or

     b) a written offer, valid for  at least three years, to give any third
        party, for a charge no more than Your cost of physically performing
        the Object Code distribution,  a complete copy of the corresponding
        Source Code; or

     c) a  written information You received  as to the  offer to distribute
        corresponding  Source Code  (This alternative  is allowed  only for
        noncommercial distribution and only if You received the Object Code
        with such an offer, in accord with subsection b above); or

>               [GPL] Section 3, Paragraph 1. Slightly modified.
>               In a) also [GPL] Section 3, Paragraph 3. Slightly modified.

     d) full  information as  to how to  obtain the  complete corresponding
        Source Code from an  appropriate archive site. (This alternative is
        allowed  only  if  You  distribute   less  then  100  copies  of  a
        machine-unreadable Object  Code (eg.  printed book)  which does not
        include any machine-readable data (eg. no attached CD)).

>               Based on [NGPL] Section 3b. A bit modified

1.3. You may publicly display or perform copies.

>               [FDL] Section 2, Paragraph 2. Only the 2nd part since
>               lending is also a distribution.

1.4. Each  time  you redistribute  the  Work,  the recipient  automatically
     receives a license from the Licensor to copy, distribute or modify the
     Work subject  to these terms  and conditions. You are  not responsible
     for enforcing compliance by third parties to this License.

>               [GPL] Section 6. Terminology changed.

1.5. It is requested,  but not required, that You  contact the author(s) of
     the Work  well before  redistributing any large  number of  copies, to
     give him/her/them a chance to provide You with an updated version.

>               [FDL] Section 3, Paragraph 4. Identical.

     2. MODIFICATIONS

2.1. You  may modify  Your copy  of the  Work or  any portion  of  it, thus
     forming a Modified Version of the Work, provided that You will:

>               [GPL] Section 2, Paragraph 1. A bit modified.

     a) make  sure that the  Modified Version is easily  distinguished from
        the Original Version. That includes (but is not limited to) adding:
        - prominent notices to the  modified files stating that You changed
          the files and the date of any change, and
        - an entry to  a file or, in case of  text work, section containing
          list of changes if such file or section exists;

>               Based on [GPL] 2a, [LGPL] 2b, [FDL] 4I and [FDL] 4J

     b) keep intact  all the notices that refer to this  License and to the
        absence of any  warranty, thus causing the whole of  the work to be
        licensed at no charge to all  third parties under the terms of this
        License; and

     c) include an unaltered copy of this License.

>               Don't know where those two come from but they are quite
>               clear.

2.2. Translation is  considered a kind  of modification, so You  may create
     translations  of the Work  under the  terms of  section 2.1.   You may
     include a translation of this  License, and all the license notices in
     the Work, provided that You  also include the original English version
     of  this  License and  the  original  versions  of those  notices  and
     disclaimers.  In  case of a  disagreement between the  translation and
     the original  version of this License  or a notice  or disclaimer, the
     original version will prevail.

>               [FDL] Section 8, Paragraph 1. A bit modified.

2.3. The author(s) and publisher(s) of the Work do not by this License give
     permission to use their names for  publicity for or to assert or imply
     endorsement of any Modified Version.

>               [FDL] Section 4, Paragraph 5. Identical.

2.4. It is requested, but not required, that You share the Modified Version
     you have created with others including the author(s) of the Work.

>               My own

     3. COMBINING WORKS

3.1. A compilation of the Work with other separate and independent work, in
     or  on a  volume of  a storage  or distribution  medium, is  called an
     "Aggregate"  if the copyright  resulting from  the compilation  is not
     used to limit the legal  rights of the compilation's users beyond what
     the  individual  works  permit.   When  the Work  is  included  in  an
     Aggregate,  this License  does not  apply to  the other  works  in the
     Aggregate that are not Modified Versions of the Work.

>               [FDL] Section 7, Paragraph 1. Terminology changed.

     4. WARRANTY AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITY

4.1. The  Licensor warrants  that  the copyright  in  and to  the Work  and
     granted  herein  by  the Licensor  is  owned  by  the Licensor  or  is
     sublicensed to You under the terms of this License with the permission
     of the contributor(s) of  those copyrights, except as expressly stated
     in the immediately proceeding section:

>               [AFL] Section 7.  Modified though have the same spirit.

4.2. The Work is provided on an  "AS IS" BASIS and WITHOUT WARRANTY, either
     express or  implied, including, without limitation,  the warranties of
     NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
     THE  ENTIRE RISK AS  TO THE  QUALITY OF  THE WORK  IS WITH  YOU.  This
     disclaimer of warranty constitutes  an essential part of this License.
     No  license  to  the  Work  is granted  hereunder  except  under  this
     disclaimer.

>               [AFL] Section 7.  Modified though have the same spirit.

4.3. Under  no circumstances  and under  no legal  theory, whether  in tort
     (including negligence), contract, or  otherwise, shall the Licensor be
     liable to any person for any direct, indirect, special, incidental, or
     consequential damages  of any  character arising as  a result  of this
     License or the use of  the Work including, without limitation, damages
     for loss  of goodwill,  work stoppage, damages  or malfunction  of any
     device,  or any  and all  other  commercial damages  or losses.   This
     limitation  of liability  shall not  apply to  liability for  death or
     personal injury resulting from Licensor's negligence.

>               [AFL] Section 8. A bit modified.

4.4. The Licensor  guarantees You access  to the Source Code  by fulfilling
     the conditions of the chapter 1. Verbatim Copies.

>               That's my own. Since the author doesn't have to comply to
>               the License (s)he doesn't have to release the Source Code.
>               4.4. forces him/her to do so.

     5. ACCEPTANCE AND TERMINATION

5.1. You are not required to accept this License, since You have not signed
     it.  However, You  may not copy, modify or  distribute the Work except
     as expressly provided for under this License.  Therefore, by modifying
     or distributing the Work, You indicate Your acceptance of this License
     to do so, and all its terms and conditions.

>               [GPL] Section 5 + [AFL] Section 9 + something else
>               probably.

5.2. Any other attempt to copy, modify  or distribute the Work is void, and
     will automatically terminate Your rights under this License.  However,
     parties  who have  received copies,  or  rights, from  You under  this
     License  will not  have  their  licenses terminated  so  long as  such
     parties remain in full compliance.

5.3. This  License shall  terminate  automatically and  You  may no  longer
     exercise any  of the rights granted to  You by this License  as of the
     date You commence an  action, including a cross-claim or counterclaim,
     against the Licensor or any  licensee alleging that the Work infringes
     a patent.   This termination provision  shall not apply for  an action
     alleging patent  infringement by combinations  of the Work  with other
     software or hardware.

>               [AFL] 10. Terminology changed

5.4. If You do not agree or cannot comply with all the terms and conditions
     of this License do not use, modify, or distribute the Work.

>               I have no idea where I took the above two sections from.

     6. THE LICENSE

6.1. If  any clause  of  this  Licence is  unenforceable  under or  against
     applicable law entire licence is void.

>               That was taken from the license-discuss AFAIR.

6.2. Michal Nazarewicz may  publish revised or new versions  of the MN Open
     Content License from  time to time. Such new  versions will be similar
     in spirit to the present version,  but may differ in detail to address
     new problems or concerns.

>               [GPL] Section 9, Paragraph 1. A bit modified.

6.3. Each version  is given a  distinguishing version number.  If  the Work
     specifies a  version number  of this License  which applies to  it and
     "any later  version", You have the  option of following  the terms and
     conditions either  of that  or any later  version published  by Michal
     Nazarewicz.  If the  Work does not specify a  license version, You may
     choose any version ever published by Michal Nazarewicz.

>               [GPL] Section 9, Paragraph 2. A bit modified.

6.4. This License  complies with  the Open Source  Definition and  has been
     approved by  the Open Source Initiative. Works  distributed under this
     License may be marked as "OSI Certified".

>               Want to add it after the license is approved

                            END OF THE LICENSE

                 How to Apply These Terms to Your New Work

     To apply  these terms,  attach the following  notices to the  work you
     have created or  you are copyright holder of.  It  is safest to attach
     them to the  start of each file of  the source code as well  as to the
     object code.

        <work's name and brief idea what it is about>
        Copyright (C) <year>  <name of author>

        Permission is granted to copy, distribute or modify this work under
        the terms of the MN Open Content License,  Version #.# or any later
        version published by Michal Nazarewicz (mina86/at/tlen.pl).

     Also add  information on  how to contact  you by electronic  and paper
     mail, and provide this license along with both the source code and the
     object code.

     If your work  is not a piece of software  then any nontrivial examples
     of program  code which it contains  are recommended to  be released in
     parallel under  your choice  of open source  license, such as  the GNU
     General Public license, to permit their use in open software.
- -----< cut here >----------------------------------------------------------

[AFL]  Academic Free License v. 2.1
       http://opensource.org/licenses/afl-2.1.php
[GPL]  GNU General Public License Version 2
       http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
[LGPL] GNU Lesser General Public License Version 2.1
       http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html
[FDL]  GNU Free Documentation License Version 1.2
       http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl.html
[NGPL] Nethack General Public License
       http://opensource.org/licenses/nethack.php
[1]    Draft Debian Position Statement about the GNU FDL
       http://people.debian.org/~srivasta/Position_Statement.xhtml
[2]    Why You Shouldn't Use the GNU FDL
       http://home.twcny.rr.com/nerode/neroden/fdl.html
- --
Best regards,                                        _     _
.o. | Liege of Serenly Enlightened Majesty of      o' \,=./ `o
..o | Computer Science,  Michal "mina86" Nazarewicz   (o o)
ooo +--<mina86*tlen.pl>--<jid:mina86*jabber.org>--ooO--(_)--Ooo--