For Approval: MN Open Documentation License 1.0

Roddixon roddixon at cyberspaces.org
Fri Dec 17 13:47:00 UTC 2004

I have always understood the FSF to forbid modifications of the GPL when
using the GPL as a license, rather than forbidding use of the GPL as a FOSS
license template.  It would be ironic, to say the least, if the FSF claimed
a copyright interest in licenses that were drafted on the basis of the
expression and ideas contained in the GPL.  Most, if not all, FOSS are in
some sense derivative of the first generation free software licenses.

 I think we can agree that whether a copyright license (or portions of one)
is subject to copyright protection is a highly controversial matter. My own
opinion is that most, if any, standardized (or form) copyright licenses
contain very little that shows evidence of the minimal originality required
for copyright protection in the U.S.  And, regardless of terms to the
contrary in a given license, a license cannot render itself copyright
subject matter; the issue is a legal question controlled by an
interpretation of the Copyright Act. Moreover, FOSS licenses seem
particularly vulnerable to a claim that the licenses could only acquire
razor thin protection since most not only permit copying, but require it. I
will not get into the derivative use arguments because it is probably.
apparent that the same arguments apply.

- Rod

Rod Dixon
www.cyberspaces.org