Feedback on the OPPL

Ernest Prabhakar prabhaka at apple.com
Wed Dec 15 18:21:24 UTC 2004

Hi Larry M.,

On Dec 13, 2004, at 8:38 AM, Larry E. Masters wrote:

> I submitted a license to the list a while ago and recieved some
> opinions on it.
> We have modified the license and would like your opinions again.
>
> The license is the Open Project Public License.
> http://www.larrymasters.com/oppl.htm

I'll let someone else comment on the Patent and Termination clauses,
but I was most confused by 4(b) and  5(a):

>  You must ensure that all recipients of the machine-executable forms
> are also able to receive the complete machine-readable source code to
> the distributed Original Software, including all modifications,
> without any charge beyond the costs of data transfer, and place
> prominent notices in the distribution explaining this.

>  You must ensure that all recipients of machine-executable forms of
> these items are also able to receive and use the complete
> machine-readable source code to the items without any charge beyond
> the costs of data transfer.

This seems rather strong.   So, if someone downloads a copy of my
software for his cellphone and takes it with him to a remote Fiji
Island without FedEx or networking, does this mean I have to ensure
he's able to both get and process the source code?  Even if his device
doesn't come with the tools for viewing/compiling the code?

I also find the dual use of "Derivative Works" and "modifications"
confusing.  Are they the same thing? Is one a subset of the other?  Or
do you consider them orthogonal?

-- Ernie "yes, I'm easily confused" Prabhakar
TINA, MLLA