pruning "dead" licenses

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Tue Dec 14 03:13:14 UTC 2004

John Cowan writes:
 > Eric S. Raymond scripsit:
 >
 > > To the extent that we can promote freedom and get better outcomes by
 > > pruning licenses, I'd sacrifice "diversity" without a qualm.
 >
 > What does "pruning" mean?  Does it mean decertifying, delisting, or
 > de-emphasizing?

I'm shooting for decertifying and would accept delisting.
De-emphasizing is a done deal (in that we accept that it will be done,
in some fashion).

The trouble with decertifying is that somebody may be using the
certification mark in all good faith.  On the other hand, we've told
people that they should definitely be linking to our copy of the
certification mark.  I think that one thing we should immediately do
is say "You MUST link to our copy of the certification mark; all other
use is prohibited.  You MUST send us a copy of any use of the
certification mark in print; all other use is prohibited."

--
--My blog is at angry-economist.russnelson.com  | Freedom means allowing
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | people to do things the