pruning "dead" licenses

Fink, Martin R martin.fink at hp.com
Mon Dec 13 15:12:31 UTC 2004

I think we do need to find a way to reduce the number of licenses.

However, I'm not sure that categorizations such as "active" and
"inactive", or "often/sometimes/rarely" is where I'd go (I could be
wrong).  I'm still thinking through this because I'd like to submit a
more formal proposal, but my brain is more around a few different areas,
such as categorizing:

"Vanity licenses"
"Single project use licenses"
"Copyleft and non-copyleft licenses"
"Corporate and community licenses"

Obviously, this is still developing.  Another thought is around license
compatibility.  Compatible licenses could be "grouped" together in some
fashion.

Yet another thought is that I'd like to think about extending the OSD to
make it more restrictive to create new licenses.

I welcome ideas, and as I develop this further, I'll see if I can
propose something a bit more formally.

Martin

| Martin Fink                  | Email: martin.fink at hp.com |
| Vice-President, Linux        | Phone: (970) 898-7076     |
| Hewlett-Packard Co.          | Fax:   (970) 898-4302     |
| 3404 East Harmony Road, MS43 | Asst:  Ingrid Busch       |
| Fort Collins, CO 80528       | Phone: (970) 898-0782     |