Including open source within a larger package

Chris F Clark cfc at theworld.com
Tue Dec 7 16:36:33 UTC 2004

Thanks to all who've helped me.  I will put the "shareware" portions
of the release in a separate directory from the "open source" portion
and that should make everything clear without a stipulation about what
isn't covered by the open source license.  Everything in the open
spource directory will be open source.  Other stuff, well, it will be
what it is.  I think that will make redistributors jobs easier.  For
those who only want to distribute open source items, then thay can
simply pick up the open source part of the tree.

As to licensing, I will probably offer the software under both the GPL
and the OSL.  I still have some more investigation of the OSL to do
before commiting to license under that.  However, it sounds like a
good license that will meet my needs.  I am under the impression
(recent discussions not withstanding) that offering the software under
more license terms and allowing the uder to pick terms is more likely
to allow the user to find a license that is compatible with their
needs.

However, due to the recent discussions of dual licensing, I may make
two copies of the source code, one for each license.  That will allow
users to be clear about which license terms they are expecting to
accept.  It will also enable them to make any modification twice and
be certain that their modifications are clearly also dually licensed.

Again, thanks to everyone for your help.  I've always found this list
useful.

-Chris