Redistribution constraint

Andrea Chiarelli a.chiarelli at manthys.it
Thu Aug 19 09:37:07 UTC 2004

Hello,
my company is going to develop a software project for one of our customers.
The
software will manage a very specific problem and is very customized.
The customer would get the source code and we would give it under an open
source license that gives him the ability to copy, run, modify it but not
redistribute for profit. We would avoid that the customer makes profit from
redistributing the software. However we allow redistribution just for free.

Here are my questions:

- Is this redistribution constraint a problem for open source philosophy?
- Is there an already approved open source license that meets this
requirement? (I have found none among the published ones)

Thanks for your comments.

Andrea Chiarelli

Manthys - Formazione e Consulenza Informatica
www.manthys.it