License for Massively Multiplayer Games?

Rich Tsao richtsao at cyche.com
Wed Aug 11 23:12:05 UTC 2004

Hi all:

I apologize in advance if this is not the proper forum for this question.

I am considering to make an Open Source Massively Multiplayer Game.  To
create a stable service, I need a specific restriction in Open Source
license I can’t seem to find in any existing templates so far:
1.	Modified versions of the source will not be allowed to connect to
original software (both client and servers).
The primary reason for this is to prevent harmful individuals from
programmatic cheating or other negative user experience for the player
population.

Additionally, I would like the following standard restrictions applied:
1.	Source-code modifications can only be distributed in the form
of "patch files" with the source code for the purpose of modifying the
program at build time.
2.	Derived works must carry a different name from the original software.
3.	No-endorsement clause. Users of the software are barred from using
the name of the organization or contributors to endorse or promote products.
4.	Has explicit patent grant.
5.	Contains patent mutual-termination clause.
6.	NOT copy left.

The closest version I found is possibly Open Software License, but it has
copy left, which I don’t want.  Are there any other Open Source license with
the above restrictions I am looking for?  If not, what Open Source license
comes close to these requirements?

Lastly, if I were to use GarageGames’ Torque game engine, and it has a
commercial license.  Is it possible to create a MMOG game that uses that
commercial game engine and still be Open Source?

Thanks,
-Rich