Adaptive Public License

Rod Dixon rodd at cyberspaces.org
Sat Apr 17 05:08:54 UTC 2004

This is a good point. I also laud the effort by those who spent the past
year or so trying to make it easier to use and adapt licenses.
Unfortunately, occasionally something meant to be easy is more complex
because it bends too many preexisting rules or customs. The easy way to
make a modular license is to start out the same way FSF has done; think of
the GPL as a base license and the LGPL as a modular adaptation. If there
are certain known adaptations of your license, you can create them and
distinctly name them; otherwise, you are asking OSI to approve licenses
that do not yet exist, but could exist if someone made the adaptation.
This brings us full circle to the proliferation of licenses.

On the other hand, you can draft a license that can easily be used as a
template for others, but you will not have the authority to control how
the template is used (but that is the point of a template).

Rod