Adaptive Public License Re: License Committee Report v2

Ernest Prabhakar Prabhaka at apple.com
Thu Apr 15 12:53:16 UTC 2004

On Apr 14, 2004, at 11:26 PM, Russell Nelson wrote:
> Unfortunately, even after two tries there have been insufficient
> comments on the Adaptive Public License.  Maybe the third's the charm?
>
> Title:  Adaptive Public License
> Submission:
> http://www.crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:6913:200305:
> bogcdnbbhnfbgpdeahob
> License:  http://www.mamook.net/APL.html

So, I'm curious what the OSI position is on "model licenses" like this.
   Does having a semi-modular license like this actually simplify the
task of OSI approval?  Or is it easier to let people modify their own
licenses as they see fit?

I think the reason there's few opinions is that it is so darn
complicated (even by Open Source standards!). The most complicated part
is that I can't tell whether the license terms are *always* fixed for a
given Initial Work.  Could the author perhaps clarify that?  It also
might help if the author could summarize:
- which clauses are relevant to OSI certification
- which clauses are different from existing OSI licenses
- the patent philosophy (which I couldn't parse)

-- Ernie P.
IANAL, TINLA, etc. etc.

FWIW, here's some of what I see as the most relevant sections, but the
list isn't exhaustive.

1.7. "INDEPENDENT MODULE" means a  separate module of software and/or
data that is not a derivative work  of or copied from the Licensed Work
or any portion thereof. In addition,  a module does not qualify as an
Independent Module but instead forms  part of the Licensed Work if the
module: (a) is embedded in the Licensed  Work; (b) is included by
reference in the Licensed Work other than by  a function call or a
class reference; or (c) must be included or contained,  in whole or in
part, within a file directory or subdirectory actually  containing
files making up the Licensed Work.

1.18. "SUBSEQUENT WORK" means a work  that has resulted or arises from
changes to and/or additions to:
  (a) the Initial Work;
  (b) any other Subsequent Work; or
  (c) to any combination of the Initial Work and any such other
Subsequent Work;

  where such changes and/or additions originate from a Subsequent
Contributor.  A Subsequent Work will "originate" from a Subsequent
Contributor if  the Subsequent Work was a result of efforts by such
Subsequent Contributor  (or anyone acting on such Subsequent
Contributor's behalf, such as,  a contractor or other entity that is
engaged by or under the direction  of the Subsequent Contributor). For
greater certainty, a Subsequent  Work expressly excludes and shall not
capture within its meaning any  Independent Module.

3.6. INDEPENDENT MODULES.
  This License shall not apply to Independent Modules of any Initial
Contributor, Subsequent Contributor, Distributor or any Recipient, and
such Independent Modules may be licensed or made available under one
or more separate license agreements.

  3.7. LARGER WORKS.
  Any Distributor or Recipient may create or contribute to a Larger Work
  by combining any of the Licensed Work with other code not governed by
the terms of this License, and may distribute the Larger Work as one
or more products. However, in any such case, Distributor or Recipient
(as the case may be) must make sure that the requirements of this
License  are fulfilled for the Licensed Work portion of the Larger
Work.

(b) The Initial Contributor may at any time introduce requirements  or
add to or change earlier requirements (in each case, the "EARLIER
DESCRIPTION REQUIREMENTS") for documenting changes resulting  in
Subsequent Works by revising Part 1 of each copy  of the Supplement
File distributed by the Initial Contributor with  future copies of the
Licensed Work so that Part 1  then contains new requirements (the "NEW
DESCRIPTION REQUIREMENTS")  for documenting such changes.