License Committee Report

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Wed Apr 14 21:47:16 UTC 2004

I'm the chair of the license approval committee.  This is my report
for the current set of licenses under discussion.  If anybody
disagrees with my assessment of the committee's conclusions, say so
promptly.

--

Restricts license termination to only if the original work is alleged
to infringe a patent.

Title: OSL/AFL version 2.1 submitted for approval
Submission: http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:msp:8002:fdhkogbdmecjfdifioea
License: www.rosenlaw.com/osl2.1.html
License: www.rosenlaw.com/afl2.1.html
Comments:
  John Cowan gives it the thumbs up with no comments.
  The redline is at   www.rosenlaw.com/osl2.1-redline.pdf
Recommend: approval.

--

There is much discussion spent deciding whether NASA can copyright
software at all.  The license itself says that no copyright is claimed

Title: NASA Open Source Agreement (NOSA) version 1.3
Original Submission:
	http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:7698:200402:jfdgbalgdhgblndpmljm
Re-Submission:
	http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:msp:7999:ieccombmcpkdjmpppfil
License: http://www.nas.nasa.gov/Research/Software/Open-Source/NASA_Open_Source_Agreement_1.3.txt
Comments:
  John Cowan did a complete re-review of it and found that the
  previous concerns had been addressed.
Recommend: approval.

--

The author wants to control software which is merely written to work
in conjunction with this software.

Title: Open Project Public License (OPPL)
Submission: http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:7926:200403:flibooikigifnhkciclb
License: http://nextco.net/~matti/awaiting_approval.htm
Comments:
  John Cowan is not enthusiastic about it.
    http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:7981:200403:flibooikigifnhkciclb
  Neither is Alex Rousskov.
    http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:7983:200403:flibooikigifnhkciclb
Recommend: turn it down.

--

Title: Eclipse Public License - v 1.0
Submission: http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:7933:okcnnifeagbhadopkkoe

--
--My blog is at angry-economist.russnelson.com  | Spinach ala mode -- a good
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | way to eat spinach?  Or a