License for a document or presentation?

Mahesh T. Pai paivakil at yahoo.co.in
Sat Apr 10 16:16:01 UTC 2004

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. said on Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 03:22:51PM -0400,:

 > Whether the principles supporting licensing documents differed from
 > software,

Appears  to  depend  on  what   you  want  to  achieve.  If  you  want
e-propagation of the document, a copyleft license will be better, IMO.

 > Are we promoting the idea that all text should be licensed?

Not quite.  You  issue a `license' as opposed  to merely `giving away'
(or selling) a copy to prevent what is achieved by copyright - prevent
distribution by a person other than the copyright holder.

 > When the  ideas are freely accessible doesn't  that reduce (albeit,
 > not eliminate) the benefit of using an open source license?

You  seem   to  have  overlooked  the   difference  between  documents
expressing opinion  or political thought and  technical documents (man
pages, guides, etc).

--

  Mahesh T. Pai, LL.M.,
  'NANDINI', S. R. M. Road,