OSL 2.0 and linking of libraries

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rod at cyberspaces.org
Fri Apr 2 13:00:04 UTC 2004

This issue on linking seems to come to life every full moon.

More seriously, I am unable to come up with a routine scenario in which static linking to a library would create a derivative work -- albeit, doing so COULD violate the terms of a license.  The distinction is that what constitutes a derivative work is a legal question ultimately resolved by a court interpreting the Copyright Act: this is so regardless of whether the underlying license at issue is the GPL or one issued by the Creative Commons.  As I see it, in the normal course of coding a call to a library, the author of the static link has not produce sufficient  original expression to yield an independently copyrightable derivative work, despite the possibility that the works linked are independently  copyrightable.  What is really at issue in the linking hypo is a concern regarding license terms in my opinion.  A license may seek to control certain uses of a work and, in doing so, inartfully refer to derivative work. This amounts to a redefinition of that term, which is highly inadvisable sense the definition is driven by the statute and the intent of the license and perhaps the licensor is driven by the license terms.  If there is caselaw going the other way, please post it so we can discuss it, otherwise, I think the earlier comments on this rejecting static linking as a real concern on  the derivative work question should be considered responsive to many of the recently posted questions.

Rod