OSL 2.0 and linking of libraries

Robert Osfield robert at openscenegraph.com
Thu Apr 1 19:32:41 UTC 2004

Hi

I'm a similar situation to Peter, currently by OS library is released under a
modified LGPL as per the WxWindows license, but I'd like to adopt a license
which is clearer w.r.t patents, OSL 2.0 would appear to fit this bill except
for the liense propagation.  Peter's modification would at first glass allow
usage without propagating the license to programs using the library.

It'd be nice to have an official OSL version specifically which allows for
programs to link against libraries without license propagation, as LGPL is to
GPL.  This could then be used off the shelf without need for customization.
It would certainly save on time when adopting the license, and also education
of users who'll need to get to grips with the implications of yet another OS
license.

Or is there a license ready and waiting that I havn't spotted?

Thanks in advance you any guidance that you can provide.
Robert.