For Approval: Open Source Software Alliance License

ihab at mail.ahc.umn.edu ihab at mail.ahc.umn.edu
Mon Sep 29 23:30:31 UTC 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Sean Chittenden wrote:
> > Speaking of malintent, it may be argued that the OSSAL encourages a
> > corporation with a large amount of financial backing to issue a
> > large "upgrade" to their or someone else's open source product and
> > issuing it as closed source software for sale, thereby essentially
> > doing a "bait and switch" tactic. But this is already allowable
> > under BSD. No, the OSSAL tries to *prohibit* someone else from
> > exercising the same freedoms over the code to create a GPL fork.
>
> But that's free enterprise and something that they can do... now they
> have to maintain it, perform their own audits, etc.

I agree. I was merely reacting to your use of the word "malintent".

> > Sean is, as far as I can tell, coming from a politically "rightist"
> > perspective, whereas folks like RMS are coming from a "leftist"
> > perspective.
>
> Please, please, please don't lump me in with the political right
> wingers.

My apologies for the lumping. I sincerely thought this would be a
statement with which you would agree and which would help clarify things.

> The extent of what I will say on politics is that I believe in market
> driven economies and letting _open_ markets correct themselves.  The
> Open Source world is as good of an open market as I've ever seen.

Great. As I said before, I am personally in favor of you joining this
market, your chosen terms of trade in hand.

Peace,

Ihab

--
Ihab A.B. Awad <ihab at stanford.edu>