That Notorious Suit (Slightly OT)

Daniel Carrera dcarrera at math.umd.edu
Wed Oct 29 20:29:32 UTC 2003

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 06:58:09AM +1100, Nathan Kelley wrote:

> >I had never heard of this stumbling block (not to say that it wasn't
> >there). But I've never heard of someone not wanting to use a GPL
> >product because they weren't sure if the license would stand in court.
>
> It's a point commonly brought up by analysts when handing out advice
> through c|net, BusinessWeek, InfoWorld, and friends.

Are those analysts all called "Rob Enderle" by any chance?

Don't waste your time with him.  Before I knew better, I actually thought
to engage in discussion with im to see his point of view.  He doesn't
actually have a degree on either IT or Law, but considers himself an
expert in both.  He doesn't actually have any backing for his arguments,
but that doesn't deter him.  In our conversation I made an effort to be
polite and I got the distinct impression that he was TRYING to make me
mad (by being condescending or misrepresenting what I had said).

> They don't put
> stock into the GPL apparently because a high-priced team of lawyers
> didn't create it. That is, of course, a silly point to make, but they
> make it anyway. And people listen, including The People Who Matter™ at
> any given workplace.

Sigh...
Typical PHB.

> >If Linux were BSD there would be no suit, simply because there would
> >be no competition.
>
> I agree wholeheartedly with this point. And there wouldn't be thousands
> of volunteers if they thought they were providing free labor for
> others, particularly development houses that then released products
> only for the Windows platform. Fortunately, we're not in that
> dimension.

I hadn't thought of that.  That might be part of the reason why the
GPL-based projects are so much larger than the BSD-based projects.

Cheers,
--
Daniel Carrera    | OpenPGP KeyID: 9AF77A88
PhD grad student. |