Silly question: are usage restrictions covered by the OSD?

Brian O'Byrne bobyrne at iol.ie
Thu Oct 16 14:26:41 UTC 2003

Arnoud,

OSD #6 talks about 'making use of the program in a specific field of
endeavor', which seems to me to be completely compatible with FSF
freedom 0 and incompatible with your example.

A license that restricts your use of an editor to produce closed
source software is stopping you from making use of the program in a
field of endeavor.

The destinction between that and restrictions on redistribution and
derivatives is IMO very clear. Making a derivative of a program is
not the same as making use of the program you received. Nor is
redistributing a program (or derivative) the same as making use of
it.

Thus a license can apply restrictions on derivatives and
redistribution without violating OSD #6.

IANAL, TINLA, etc.
Brian.