Silly question: are usage restrictions covered by the OSD?

Brian Behlendorf brian at collab.net
Thu Oct 16 01:22:24 UTC 2003

I used to argue that the OSD should only certify licenses that talked
about redistribution, not use... but lost that argument, and there are
several licenses that limit use.  I can't find anything in the OSD that
would invalidate a term like you describe; I say that partly to dare other
folks on this list to take a look.  Note that it basically reduces your
software to "shareware", relying on people to pay appropriately if they
violate that term.  That might not be such a bad thing though.

	Brian